WE OPPOSED DRILLING ON OUR SACRED LANDS FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
1) The leases were granted illegally in 1982 without tribal consultation.
2) Energy development would negatively impact and interfere with the Blackfeet people’s lands, and the use of it for cultural, historical and religious purposes.
3) Drilling would compromise the water quality and disrupt extraordinary habitat for rare and sensitive wildlife species.
4) Reserved hunting, fishing and timbering rights would be compromised.
5) Fracking the “Backbone of the World” would desecrate both the landscape and the cultural identity of present and future generations of Blackfeet people.
6) Roads, trucking bridges and well pads would disturb sacred lands in the heart of the Badger-Two Medicine.